AJK PM sacks MQM ministers after ultimatum on Altaf Hussain
MUZAFFARABAD: Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Prime Minister Chaudhry
Abdul Majeed on Tuesday sacked two members of his cabinet belonging to
the Mutahidda Qaumi Movement (MQM), a day after he had given them an
“ultimatum of 72 hours” to dissociate themselves from Altaf Hussain.
“In
exercise of the powers conferred on him under section 14 (3) of the AJK
Interim Constitution Act, 1974, the Prime Minister of the Azad
Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir has sacked Mohammad Tahir
Khokhar, minister for transport, and Mohammad Salim Butt, minister for
sports, youth and culture, from their offices with immediate effect,”
said a notification issued by the Services and General Administration
Department.
Mr Khokhar and Mr Butt were elected as AJK Legislative Assembly
members in July 2011 elections for the second consecutive term from the
constituencies of Kashmiri refugees settled in Pakistan, mainly Karachi.
The
MQM has been an ally of the Peoples Party led government in AJK from
the inception of the sitting legislature. In October last year, their
party had announced that its members would quit the AJK government,
following their colleagues in Sindh, in protest against PPP chairman
Bilawal Bhutto Zardari’s outburst against Altaf.
The announcement made by MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar
notwithstanding, resignations of the MQM ministers in AJK remained a
mystery for a long time, as neither the government accepted nor publicly
rejected the same.
The duo did not surrender the perks and
privileges admissible to cabinet members for a single day. But while
Khokhar stopped taking interest in the affairs of his transport
ministry, his colleague continued to organise different events and
programmes to promote sports and Kashmiri culture.
On Monday, the
AJK Premier made a scathing criticism of MQM chief for his “provocative
and anti-state” remarks in an August 1 speech to US-based party workers
and gave an “ultimatum of 72 hours” to the two MQM ministers in his
cabinet “to dissociate themselves from Mr Hussain”.
Majeed had
maintained that the ‘venomous propaganda’ by Altaf against the armed
forces and other national institutions amounted to commission of
treason, which no patriotic Pakistani could tolerate.
While the
people of India held Kashmir are fighting Indian rule with green
Pakistani flags in their hands, “continuance of MQM members in the AJK
government would be tantamount to rubbing salt into the wounds of
freedom seeking Kashmiris,” Majeed had said.
However, in response,
MQM parliamentary leader Khokhar had taken strong exception to the
statement of AJK premier, making it clear that the PPP had no right to
dictate to the MQM ministers about their political affiliation.
“This
is a childish rather (sic) cheap move on the part of the AJK
government… They have resorted to it to please some institutions and to
cover up their corruption,” Khokhar said.
“The PM should do what’s
in his competence, instead of giving ultimatums to us. We have already
tendered resignations,” Khokhar had said.
Meanwhile, it may be
pertinent to mention here that the AJK government has called a joint
sitting of the AJK Assembly and the AJK Council here on Friday to
express condemnation of Mr Hussain’s remarks.
A day before the
joint sitting, protest rallies would also be held at all district
headquarters of AJK on Thursday against the Britain based MQM leader on
the call of Prime Minister Chaudhry Abdul Majeed, according to a
decision of the AJK government.
AJK Minister for Finance, Chaudhry
Latif Akbar, has also submitted a resolution against Altaf in the
Legislative Assembly secretariat to be discussed in Friday’s joint
sitting.
No comments:
Post a Comment